[texhax] LaTeX

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Thu Jul 8 21:59:04 CEST 2004

Pierre:

> >   It's not obvious.  It's annoying since LaTeX refuses to do what I
> >   explicitly ask it to do.  To get around it I've had to resort to this
> <   stupid trick:
>
> There are often vskip amounts above and below things like display
> equations.  Add some text two pages earlier and the vskip moves to the
> top of the page after the equation.  Do you really want that blank
> space at the top of the page? Most of the time you don't.  TeX's
> ability to repaginate without producing huge gaps of white space at
> the top of pages where a vskip happens to land is one of the special
> features---yes, features, real features---of the system.
>
> Moreover, though I am not a LaTeX user,  doesn't \vspace*{2cm} produce
> a non-disappearing space?  The asterisk works for other space commands
> as well.  In TeX, you have to use \strut\vskip, and in all probability
> that is approximately what \vspace* translates to.
>
> Pierre MacKay

Thanks for your logical explanation!  Please make sure that this
information gets onto the web somewhere.  It is the kind of logic that
users should know about.

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Experimental and Computational Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)
  http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/