[texhax] Trying to find the /right/ piece of LaTeX documentation.

Peter Hutnick tex at hutnick.com
Thu Jul 8 20:51:55 CEST 2004

Hello,

I am writing a book with LaTeX, using the book class.  I have a few
interrelated questions.

Is there a document that discusses how do modify the layout safely and
correctly?  I have read the many warnings and I still want to proceeded.
  The FAQ indicates that this info can be found in "The LaTeX Manual,"
which brings me to the next question.

I have found a dozen or more references to "The LaTeX Manual."  I have
yet to find one that provides any hint as to what this is.  Is it a
dead-tree book?  I can't find it on Amazon.com.  Is it available on the
Internet?  I can't find it with Google or in CTAN.  Is it "man latex?"
On my system that is less than a page.  I'm really puzzled about this.

This (http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=changemargin) FAQ
entry references the manual, but this
(http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=books) doesn't list it.
  Neither does this
(http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=tutorials).

Finally, I'd like to set my book so that there is a very wide "Margin
Notes" (\marginparwidth) area.  I'd like to place most of my figures in
that area.  I can't seem to find a way to make that happen.  Am I on the
wrong track?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

-Peter