[texhax] Suppressing page numbering on a page

Philip G. Ratcliffe philip.ratcliffe at uninsubria.it
Mon Jul 5 16:39:55 CEST 2004

> > Table and figure environments are floats, that is, they do not
> > necessarily
> > appear on the page where they are place in the LaTeX file.  On the other
> > hand, \thispagestyle, not surpisingly, acts on the page being output
> > when it
> > is read by LaTeX.  So, if you place it INsice the floating
> environment,
> > it
> > should work (it does for me).
>
> I'd like to see how you do that ;-)
>
> \thispagestyle is activated when LaTeX cuts the scroll, so if the float
> object is moved to the next page, the pagestyle there is unaffected (but
> the original page is). In other words this problem in the same
> category as
> trying to get the current page number in running text by using \thepage
> (which doesn't work) instead of using a label and reference.

Arrgh, there goes whatever credibility I might have had.  You're quite
right, of course:  my own experience was limited to rather simple cases
where it worked for the trivial reason that the float appeared on the same
page.

Sorry!

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
would it?"  --  Albert Einstein