[texhax] Hacking \circleddash

John Wheeler jcw at chemj2.ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 1 18:05:57 CEST 2004

Two observations:

1.  I believe that the IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
for the non-chemist tex-hackers) recommended symbol for standard state is now
just an open circle, which can be produced nicely by \circ
(At any rate, that's what Levine is using in his Physical Chemistry, 5th ed.
and he tries pretty hard to keep up with the IUPAC recommended notation.)

2.  If you really want a circle with a horizontal line through it as a
superscript, try just using \Theta.  I found it better than any of the
hacks thus far.  (I'm using the package amsmath if that makes any difference)

John Wheeler
jcw at chemj2.ucsd.edu