[texhax] Hyphenation word with accent.

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Fri Jan 30 11:40:54 CET 2004

> If I add a word to hyphenation with an accent I get an error. How can I
> add one word to hyphenation with accent without problems?

A FAQ, see http://www.tex.ac.uk/faq (Q. 235 in the current version):

235 Accented words aren’t hyphenated

TEX’s algorithm for hyphenation gives up when it encounters an \accent
command;
there are good reasons for this, but it means that quality typesetting in
non-English
languages can be difficult.
For TEX macro packages, you can avoiding the effect by using an
appropriately
encoded font (for example, a Cork-encoded font — see question 43) which
contains
accented letters as single glyphs. LATEX users can achieve this end simply
by adding
the command
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
to the preamble of their document. Other encodings (notably LY1, promoted by
Y&Y — see question 57) may be used in place of T1. Indeed, most current
8-bit
TEX font encodings will ‘work’ with the relevant sets of hyphenation
patterns.
In the future, perhaps, Omega (see question 327) will provide a rather
different
solution.

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe