[tex-fonts] Re: [texhax] On the proper look of the \AA

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Sun Jan 18 11:22:36 CET 2004

+ Lars Hellström  <Lars.Hellstrom at math.umu.se>:

| Being currently stationed at the Institut Mittag-Leffler :-),

Lucky guy.

| I feel obliged to check Barbara's conjecture. Looking through some
| randomly selected volumes of Acta, I haven't been able to spot a
| single \r{A} in there. In retrospect, this isn't particularly
| surprising; Acta has always been a very international journal.

I was going to make that same comment, but you beat me to it.

| Still, there is a good chance that an \r{A} in the journal would
| have had the ring joined to the A. In the (far less prestigous)
| sister journal "Arkiv för matematik", which is also published by the
| institute and (at least in the lead era) was printed by the same
| printer as the Acta, I did manage to find an "\r{A}ke", and there
| the ring was joined to the A.

I think that was the usual style at the time.  Myself, I went back to
the premier issue of "Nordisk matematisk tidsskrift" from 1953, with
the same result.  You may admire the scan I made from its pages.  (The
file is only 10 KB, so it's ok to look even on a slow phone line).

  http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/tmp/AA.png

- Harald