[texhax] Big-O and little-o notation

John Wheeler jcw at chemj2.ucsd.edu
Sun Jan 11 23:10:08 CET 2004

Well, after all the discussion, I find that the NIST site
http://www.nist.gov/dads/HTML/bigOnotation.html
asserts that, for Big-O,
"Strictly, the character is the upper-case Greek letter Omicron,
not the letter O, but who can tell the difference?"
and, for the little-o,
"Strictly, the character is the lower-case Greek letter omicron"
and since these are not defined separately from O and o in the Greek symbols
in LaTeX, I guess one simply should use $O(x^p)$ and $o(x^p)$.
Sorry for provoking all the discussion over nothing, although I learned
several useful things, for which I thank you all.
John Wheeler
jcw at chemj2.ucsd.edu