[texhax] LaTeX fails to create a dvi file

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Tue Feb 24 23:30:55 CET 2004

> This may be a question more properly directed to the
> WinEdt/MikTeX mailing
> list, but that list is apparently restricted and my post to it
> was rejected.

Well, you could join it, like any other list.  But the question is, in fact,
more rightly put here.

> Off and on for the past couple of weeks, and today many times,

If it's off and on, there must be a difference between off and on ...

> when I try to
> process a file (even containing just one word), MikTeX complains

Actually, I think that's WinEdt complaining, but it's only trying to be
helpful.

> "LateX failed to create a dvi file.  For possible
> explanations, start the command from the command prompt or read the log
> file."

That means, open a DOS window in the relevant directory and type latex
filename.tex (from WinEdt that's rather easy to do - there's a button for a
Commmand Prompt.

> Well, in these situations, LaTeX also fails to create a log file,
> so there's
> nothing to learn there.   Moreover, I cannot figure what command
> to run from
> the command prompt in order to catch any output.  The MiKTeX command
>
> %B\Exec\MiKTeX\LaTeX.edt'

This is obviously a WinEdt macro not a MiKTeX command.  And, as WinEdt
suggested, you should stick to simple, pure LaTeX commands in a DOS window.

> certainly does not work.   I have used LaTeX for years and MiKTeX for a
> number of months, but never seen this error.

How about a bit more info on exacly what you're trying to LaTeX?

Cordialmente,  Philip G. Ratcliffe