[texhax] Latex in PowerPoint display

Steve Schwartz s.j.schwartz at qmul.ac.uk
Mon Feb 16 13:41:25 CET 2004

Tirzah

> I have an article (Physics) containing formulas etc. written in LATEX
> . Is it possible to incorpoprate parts, including formulas, in a
> PowerPoint display? I would appreciate very much instructions
> concerning this.(Or where I can find them).

There are lots of solutions, none perfect.

Purists would do the presentation in LaTeX using one of the latex
packages designed specifically for this (slides or seminar or beamer or
... in increasing order of complexibility/capability) all of which will
take some learning to use effectively.

The quick and dirty solution is to cut out the relevant bits from the
latex output ( .ps or .pdf) and turn them into objects (.eps I think or
images: gif, png, ...) Powerpoint can understand. Since you only need
screen resolution, the easiest way is to generate a ps (or pdf) from
latex and use a tool (e.g., ghostscript or acrobat) to dump out a gif or
png which you can then manipulate (trim, colour, ...) in an image
processing bit of software (Photoshop or PaintShop or whatever under
Windows - I'd use gimp in Linux but I guess you have a windows machine).

Indeed, what I'd do is to take your LaTeX'ed paper, preview it at twice
the size you want the final equation to look like, take a screen
snapshot, and then play with the result in some image software to
generate a gif or png of the equation you want to present in Powerpoint.
Better, when it works, is to turn your paper into a pdf (pdflatex or
ps2pdf or ...) and then use Acrobat's image selection tool to copy a
selection as an image, which again can be pasted into an image
manipulating application.

This is quick and robust for a few equations. If you have lots to do,
and do it often, you might invest some time in the LaTeX presentation
packages and use Acrobat in full-screen mode to give your presentation.

Steve

| Steve Schwartz               S.J.Schwartz at qmul.ac.uk            |
| Astronomy Unit                                                  |
| Queen Mary, Univ. of London  Tel: +44 (0)20 7882 5449           |
| Mile End Road                Fax: +44 (0)20 8983 3522           |
| London E1 4NS, UK            URL: www.space-plasma.qmul.ac.uk/  |