[texhax] LaTeX failed to create a dvi file

Edgar G. Goodaire edgar at math.mun.ca
Fri Feb 13 14:38:38 CET 2004

Dear Friends:
For the past several times, intermittently, but occasionally continually
until I reboot (Windows XP) when I try to process a file (even containing
just one word), MikTeX complains

"LateX failed to create a dvi file.  For possible explanations, start the
command from the command prompt or read the log
file."

Well, in these situations, LaTeX also fails to create a log file, and
I can't figure out what command to run from the command prompt in
order to catch any output.  I have used LaTeX for years but never seen this
error.

Have any of you had this experience?  Any suggestions?  .......Edgar

Edgar G. Goodaire                      edgar at math.mun.ca
Mathematics and Statistics             http://www.math.mun.ca/~edgar
St. John's, Newfoundland               Phone: (709) 737-8097/8784
Canada  A1C 5S7                        Fax:   (709) 737-3010
http://www.math.mun.ca/~aarms/         http://www.apics.dal.ca/index2.html