Re(2): [texhax] Metafont graphic display under X11

Yannis Haralambous yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr
Sun Feb 1 22:53:48 CET 2004

======Karl Berry dixit:

>    So I am asking the question: how, using mfw, do I get graphic display
>    under X
>
>Hi Yannis,
>
>I can't speak to MacOSX, but under GNU/Linux, with DISPLAY set to :0,
>mfw works for me (TeX Live 2003, that is, Metafont (Web2C 7.5.2)

I did what you said and here is the result:

bash-2.05a$ mfw "&plain testmfw.mf"
This is METAFONT, Version 2.7182 (Web2C 7.3.8)
(testmfw.mf
mf: Window support for X was not compiled into this binary.
mf: There may be a binary called `mfw' on your system which
mf: does contain X window support.

It's quite funny to read "there may be a binary called `mfw'" while it is
precisely mfw which is running... I think it would be more honest not to
include mfw at all, if it's the same as mf.

If anyone knows about a working mfw under MacOS X please let me know.

| Yannis Haralambous, Ph.D.      yannis.haralambous at enst-bretagne.fr |
| Professor                            http://omega.enstb.org/yannis |
|                                          Tel. +33 (0)2.29.00.14.27 |
|                                          Fax  +33 (0)2.29.00.12.82 |
| Computer Science Department                                        |
| Ecole Nationale Superieure des Telecommunications de Bretagne      |
| Technopole de Brest Iroise, CS 83818, 29238 Brest CEDEX 3, France  |
                         ...pour distinguer l'exterieur d'un aquarium,
                                        mieux vaut n'etre pas poisson

                        ...the ball I threw while playing in the park
                                       has not yet reached the ground