[texhax] raiseboxing \hrulefill in multicolumn{}

geolsoft at mail.ru geolsoft at mail.ru
Mon Aug 23 16:33:53 CEST 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 10:13:02PM +1000, Lincoln Turner wrote:
> I've got a large table with a lot of column-spanning (\multicolumn)
> entries. I want to make it clear when a short-ish entry spans several
> columns by ruling a centred horizontal line either side of the centred
> entry.

I am not familiar with \multicolumn but I think the
following might be adopted for it (I use \halign which
should also be what \multicolumn uses):

\def\crulefill{\leaders\hbox{\raise.5ex\hbox to5pt{\hrulefill}}\hfill}

\halign{\hfil#\hfil&\hfil#\hfil\cr
1 column& 2 column\cr
\crulefill 1\crulefill& 2\cr
}