AW: [texhax] Hello - I have a problem

Randolph J. Herber herber at dcdrjh.fnal.gov
Wed Aug 18 16:31:02 CEST 2004

The following header lines retained to effect attribution:
>Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 15:15:24 +0200
>From: Paul Wagner <paul_spam at gmx.at>
>Subject: AW: [texhax] Hello - I have a problem
>To: texhax at tug.org
>Cc: tom.lyford at panalytical.com
>	<mailto:texhax-request at tug.org?subject=subscribe>

>Hi Tom,

>had the same problem, resolved it by telling ghostscript that I'm using A4
>paper (some ghostscript installations default to legal paper format).

>Command line is

>   gs -sPAPERSIZE=A4

>if I remember correctly, but to be sure please look it up in the
>gs-documentation.

>Paul

>P.S.: Please do not send HTML- or RTF-emails, only plain text!

	[SNIP}

	Whereas it is possible that some ghostscript installations default
	to legal size paper (8.5inx14in-216mmx356mmi-612ptx1008pt), it is
	more probable that they default to letter size paper (8.5inx11in-
	216mmx279mm-612ptx792pt), which is close to A4 (8.28inx11.7in-
	210mmx297mm-596ptx843pt).

	Now, if were possible to convince the Europeans to stop hard-
	coding paper sizes into software instead of putting such data
	into configuration files so that it would be easier to adjust
	their software to work with letter paper, the European software
	would be much more popular with United States users.

Randolph J. Herber, herber at fnal.gov, +1 630 840 2966, CD/CDFTF PK-149F,
Mail Stop 318, Fermilab, Kirk & Pine Rds., PO Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510-0500,
USA.  (Speaking for myself and not for US, US DOE, FNAL nor URA.)  (Product,
trade, or service marks herein belong to their respective owners.)