[texhax] embedding Feynman graphs in preprints

Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it Giuseppe.Angilella at ct.infn.it
Wed Aug 18 16:18:08 CEST 2004

Dear Latex and FeynMF users,

my question is: "How can I make sure that a recipient will be able to
format my preprint that uses feynMF?"

This question is answered in Part 3 of Thorsten Ohl's tutorial on No. 222
of CERN Newsletter, (dtill available from the author's present webpage,
http://theorie.physik.uni-wuerzburg.de/~ohl ).

There, it is suggested that Metapost is used, and that feynmp.sty be
included in the submission of the preprint, along with all the single
postscript files for each diagram.

This is what I did, then, but due to some "dull" uploading form, which
nowadays automatize the submission of papers to several scientific
journals, I still had some problems.

My figure is composed of several diagrams, linked by mathematical
operators (summations etc), and bearing labels. The figure then requires
standard fonts, but perhaps at the resolution etc specified on my "local"
system/computer.

I then decided to isolate the page containing my figure, and make a
postscript file (dvips) out of it.

I tried to include that postscript file into my preprint
(\includegraphics[bb=...,clip]{}). No problem on my computer, but there
were again problems on the recipient's one. The remote dvips complained
about missing fonts when including the figure. That's typical, and its
reason is indeed explained in Ohl's Tutorial.

For the time being, I eventually decided to display the single postscript
page with Gimp, and cut and paste the region I was interested in into
another, rasterized postscript file.

Of course, this worked remotely, but the output (resolution etc) is
definitely ugly, and is certainly not in the spirit of FeynMF, i.e. that
of producing really beautiful Feynman diagrams.

I hope I'll be able to submit a better quality figure later (on proof or
resubmission).

Any suggestion on how to produce a better quality, even if still
rasterized, font-independent postscript file out of a single postscript
page generated by dvips? (Or out of a single PDF page generated by
dvipdfm?)

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Best regards,

Giuseppe.