[texhax] Help with user fonts

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 30 17:15:55 CEST 2004

    My question is: how do I override the TeX defaults for the above
    files?

I recommend making a texmf-local tree, a sibling to wherever you
installed tl2003, and put everything under there.  (This is what I do
myself.)  You have an option to specify this dir when you install tl,
and then you do not even have to set any environment variables.

This is discussed throughout the install documentation.
http://tug.org/docs/tldoc/english/livese5.html is the specific chapter
for macosx, but most of the details are in the unix chapter (I didn't
want to repeat them).

The most difficult task will be getting the pfb's to work.  You have to
create/install map files for them and run updmap.  This process is not
well documented :(.

If you have comments on the documentation, let me know and I can try to
improve it this year.

HTH,