[texhax] Too many math alphabets

doug waud douglas.waud at umassmed.edu
Fri Apr 9 16:38:36 CEST 2004

Hi

Nobody seems to be responding so I'll try to muddy the waters.  :-)

Edgar G. Goodaire wrote:
> I have never seen the error message
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Too many math alphabets used in version normal.
>
> until today and I have no idea what the problem is.  Can somebody help?

I looked in Kopka and Daly (4th edn, 2003) where, on page 415, I found
the summary

TeX can use only 16 math alphabets. Apparently, you have exceeded this
limit. Any additional math alphabet definitions are ignored.

They also indicate that this error comes up in connection with the NFSS
(New Font Selection Scheme).

Goosens, Mittelbach and Samarin discuss "math alphabets" extensively on
page 174ff.

At this point I am further in over my head than usual :-)
but I suspect the next step would be to learn a little more about the
NFSS.  :-) Alternatively, if you just made a change to something which
had been working, that would give a hint as to where to start.

Sorry I can't be more specific; I've never stumbled into this territory
myself.

doug