[texhax] Counter error appears from include and includeonly

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Sep 6 11:26:10 CEST 2003

Hello Craig,

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, W. Craig Carter wrote:

> I have fairly deeply nested documents using \input, \include, and
> \includeonly.

What packages are you loading ?

> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'Item' defined.

Do any of the subdocuments load new packages or define new counters ?
If so, then *all* the counters must be available for *all* the
document pieces, whether they use them or not, since all counter values
are written into the .aux file for each \include'd piece.

> even though there is no occurence of the word Item in my documents.

Maybe it is defined in a file of macro-definitions that is called
from one of the \include'd subdocuments.

> OK, so, I try to fix this by brute force by defining that counter:
> \newcounder{Item}
>
> Then it complains about another undefined counter:
>

> ! LaTeX Error: No counter 'Hfootnote' defined.

Are you loading  html.sty  or  hyperref.sty ?
These both define new counters.

> Alright, I will use another brute force: \newcounter{Hfootnote}
>
> and then I get yet another identical error for the counter section at level
>
> Finally if I define that one, then I finally get (not unexpected errors)
> about defining counters that already exist.
>
> I am stumped about where this error in creeping in... Any ideas?

It's hard to tell, without seeing the actual structure of your document.
My guess is that it relates to the order of loading certain packages.

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore