[texhax] latex vs. pdflatex

Erik T. Ray etr at ravelgrane.com
Wed Oct 15 15:47:39 CEST 2003

As a sys admin I have to maintain a latex environment for researchers.
The problem is, my users are using both latex and pdflatex, and I want
to standardize on just one. In my experience, there are subtle
differences and it is difficult to use the same .sty files for both
environments. Does anybody have advice on which one I should pick, or
if there is a good reason to provide both? If the world is moving
toward one of them, I would like to be in the majority.

Initially I sent this question to pdftex, but then I realized that the
answer to my question would likely be biased.  ;-)

--
Erik Ray                     Unix Systems Administrator
Harvard-MIT Data Center      Harvard University