[OT:] Re: [texhax] Re: easy update of teTeX on Linux?

Pavel Minev Penev pavpen at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Oct 7 00:42:59 CEST 2003

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:14:53PM +0100, Ian Collier wrote:
> rcsanchez97 at yahoo.es wrote in texhax:
> >Please don't let the version numbers fool you.  The way that Debian
> >distributions work is that the newest stable upstream packages are
> >placed into the unstable (codenamed Sid) distribution.
>  [snip the explanation]
> >Of course, I am certain that you are still wondering about bug fixes.
> >As bugs are reported, the maintainers of the various packages work vary
> >hard to backport fixes into the various stable packages.
> [more snip]

I appreciate the effort of your elaborate explanation, but it did not
present anything new to me.

> >So, to make a long story short, those bugs have probably already been
> >fixed.  I hope that this has helped you understand the Debian system a
> >little better.
>
> Perhaps someone who is concerned about particular bugs could check
> whether they have indeed been fixed in the Debian stable teTeX package.
> I have my doubts that the developers would concern themselves with
> updates to individual LaTeX packages, but I suppose I could be wrong.
> One consequence of the way teTeX is packaged is that most of the
> macros in it can't be upgraded individually, and replacing the whole
> package for a minor bugfix to a macro would be somewhat expensive
> on resources.

I am saying that after

	apt-get update
	apt-get dist-upgrade

I still have the listings package from 2002/04/01 (v. 1.0) with a buggy
\lstname macro while there is listings version 1.1 from 2003/06/21 with
the fix on CTAN.

Soon,
--
Pav