[texhax] Help for my book!

t152 at vmars.tuwien.ac.at t152 at vmars.tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 5 17:54:51 CEST 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003, Tony Mobily wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> first of all, thank you so much for trying and help me out!
>
>  >
> > > 1) Page numbers should start from the preface (Prefazione), not before
> >
> >with the following command you can set the pagecounter to whatever
> >value you desire at any place of your document:
> >
> >\setcounter{page}{1}
>
> I used the command "setcounter", and that was *great*.
> But... how do you place *at any place* in the document? I mean, how do you
> set the position of the page number on the page?

sorry, "at any place" referred to the tex-source (you can influence
the standard pagenumbers at any place of your document).

if you really want to place the pagenumber somewhere else in the
header or footer, the "fancyhdr" (former "fancyheadings") package
should provide some help.

> > > 2) The word "capitolo" at the beginning of each short story and from the
> > > TOP of each page should go - they are short stories, not chapters of a
> > > book! It would be nice to keep the short stories' titles at the top of each
> > > page
> >
> >clearing the proper variable (iirc \chaptername) should help; you
> >will find the right name very quickly by looking through some style files
> >that deal with chapternames.
>
> OK. Err... how to I clear (or set) a variable? :-?

\def\chaptername{}

> > > 3) Each chapter *must* start from an even page (right page). If chapter 4
> > > finishes on a odd page (on the left), there must be two blank pages, and
> > > then chapter 5.
> >
> >have you tried the following command:
> >
> >\cleardoublepage
>
> Where shall I put it? I tried to put it after each chapter, but it didn't
> work... And... I don't really want two clear pages; it's just that I would
> like every chapter to start on an "even" (right) page!

just before the \chapter{}-command of the next chapter is a proper
place

the problem is the option "oneside" in the documentclass; if you change
it to "twoside" it should work

> > > 4) Possibly, the numbers next to each short story in the "contents"
> > > ("Indice") should go
> >
> >I am not sure if this is what you mean:
> >
> >\chapter*{My Title}
> >
> >starts a chapter without numbering
>
> Putting the * symbol *seemed* to fix the problem number 2 - the word
> "capitolo X" at the beginning of each short story disappeared
> So, it looked like the perfect solution. BUT... if I start a chapter with
> \chapter*{whatever}, there is a nasty side effect: the chapter doesn't seem
> to get added to the index! How do I make sure that the chapter gets added
> to the index, even though it's defined with a chapter*{whatever} command?

if you really mean the index, then you can add it with the \index{xxx}
command.

but i assume that you are talking about the table of contents; you
can add it with the following line:

\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{My Title}

> > > 5) There should be no page number on the blank pages. And... is there a
> > > better way to have blank pages...? (I feel that I am cheating a little
> > bit...)
> >
> >the following command changes the pagestyle for the current page:
> >
> >\thispagestyle{empty}
>
> That worked *perfectly* well. Thanks!
>

> > > 6) The last page, that is the back cover, should *always* be on the right
> > > hand side
> >
> >same as question 3
>
> True. Sorry!
>

> > > 7) The warning messages such as:
> > >
> > > Capitolo 15.
> > > [168] [169] [170] [171] [172]
> > > Overfull \hbox (1.88968pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 373--374
> > > []\OT1/cmr/m/n/10.95 Forse sta-vo moren-do, e moren-do mi furono
> > do-nati sprazz
> > >
> > > Should be fixed...
> > >

> >Sounds as if you should shorten the line ...
>
> I wish it was *one* line...it's a 203 pages book, and the message comes
> with a LOT of lines. And... how do you shorten a line, anyway? :-)

sorry, but your files don't compile in my latex-environment
(latex complains about more than 3000 characters in one line),
so i can only guess.

according to the error-message it is line 373-374 in chapter 15, which
contains the phrase "Forse sta-vo moren-do, e moren-do mi furono".

if you look at the previous stuff in your log-file you also will find
out the name of the source-file.

should be easy to find ...

> Ciao!
>
> Merc.