[texhax] Help for my book!

Tony Mobily merc at mobily.com
Mon May 5 23:06:13 CEST 2003

Hello Tom,

first of all, thank you so much for trying and help me out!

> > 1) Page numbers should start from the preface (Prefazione), not before
>
>with the following command you can set the pagecounter to whatever
>value you desire at any place of your document:
>
>\setcounter{page}{1}

I used the command "setcounter", and that was *great*.
But... how do you place *at any place* in the document? I mean, how do you
set the position of the page number on the page?

> > 2) The word "capitolo" at the beginning of each short story and from the
> > TOP of each page should go - they are short stories, not chapters of a
> > book! It would be nice to keep the short stories' titles at the top of each
> > page
>
>clearing the proper variable (iirc \chaptername) should help; you
>will find the right name very quickly by looking through some style files
>that deal with chapternames.

OK. Err... how to I clear (or set) a variable? :-?

> > 3) Each chapter *must* start from an even page (right page). If chapter 4
> > finishes on a odd page (on the left), there must be two blank pages, and
> > then chapter 5.
>
>have you tried the following command:
>
>\cleardoublepage

Where shall I put it? I tried to put it after each chapter, but it didn't
work... And... I don't really want two clear pages; it's just that I would
like every chapter to start on an "even" (right) page!

> > 4) Possibly, the numbers next to each short story in the "contents"
> > ("Indice") should go
>
>I am not sure if this is what you mean:
>
>\chapter*{My Title}
>
>starts a chapter without numbering

Putting the * symbol *seemed* to fix the problem number 2 - the word
"capitolo X" at the beginning of each short story disappeared
So, it looked like the perfect solution. BUT... if I start a chapter with
\chapter*{whatever}, there is a nasty side effect: the chapter doesn't seem
to get added to the index! How do I make sure that the chapter gets added
to the index, even though it's defined with a chapter*{whatever} command?

> > 5) There should be no page number on the blank pages. And... is there a
> > better way to have blank pages...? (I feel that I am cheating a little
> bit...)
>
>the following command changes the pagestyle for the current page:
>
>\thispagestyle{empty}

That worked *perfectly* well. Thanks!

> > 6) The last page, that is the back cover, should *always* be on the right
> > hand side
>
>same as question 3

True. Sorry!

> > 7) The warning messages such as:
> >
> > Capitolo 15.
> > [168] [169] [170] [171] [172]
> > Overfull \hbox (1.88968pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 373--374
> > []\OT1/cmr/m/n/10.95 Forse sta-vo moren-do, e moren-do mi furono
> do-nati sprazz
> >
> > Should be fixed...
> >

>Sounds as if you should shorten the line ...

I wish it was *one* line...it's a 203 pages book, and the message comes
with a LOT of lines. And... how do you shorten a line, anyway? :-)

Ciao!

Merc.