[texhax] do British LaTeX macros exist?

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 14 20:47:04 CEST 2003

> perhaps i worded my question incorrectly... i am not looking for British
> english macros, but rather wrappers for the (commonly American) macros
> which already exist.

i think that was clear.  and i was quite serious in what i said
slightly flippantly.

> i mean for example that i can define an environment "centre" to just
> call the "center" environment; and from then on, i would use
> \begin{centre} as opposed to calling \begin{center} directly. i'm
> terrible at having to remember the american spelling of things (even
> though the translation is often s->z and re->er) and i would really just
> like to have to worry about writing in one languauge.

i don't think it's a good idea to do it like that.  replace
environments such as center or itemize, in your putative british.sty
[english.sty having been preempted by babel], as follows

  \let\centre\center
  \let\endcentre\endcenter

and the corresponding modal command would look like

  \let\centring\centering

remember that there's a school of thought (led by some upstart
dictionary ;-) that says itemize is an english spelling.

and your new colour.sty will look like:

  \RequirePackage{color}
  \let\colour\color
  \let\textcolour\textcolor

(and so on)

best of luck.  submit the resulting packages to ctan...