[texhax] Math version 'bold' is not defined.

Jim Lane jimlane at cs.toronto.edu
Fri Jul 25 14:40:12 CEST 2003

Hi, All

I have 2 versions of TeX in my environment, teTeX which I sort of understand
and a 10+ year old thing called tex3 which I don't. I have a user who tried
to format an old document that works on the old version under teTeX. When he
does this he gets an error message as follows:

  Math version 'bold' is not defined.

If he types "s" for silent mode and presses enter at that point the document
formats correctly.
I think this is being caused by something in the "amssymb" package which he is
including. I wonder if anybody can suggest what might be going wrong here. It
would be a bit of a pain for users to have to always be dealing with error
messages that don't seem to really be errors.
TIA

Jim Lane
Dept of Computer Science
University of Toronto