[texhax] unused bibliography entries

Tom Schneider toms at ncifcrf.gov
Sat Jul 12 18:59:21 CEST 2003

Jan:

> I have a question concerning references: How to get a complete
> correspondence between the \cite commands in the text and the
> \bibitem entries in the bibliography?
>
> As far as I know, standard LaTeX only detects missing \bibitem entries
> and in that case issues a warning ("There were undefined references").
>
> Now, I'm looking for the opposite: Is it possible to automatically
> check that *all* \bibitem entries are referred to by corresponding
> \cite commands? How to make LaTeX issue a warning like "There were
> unused bibliography entries"?
>
>  Jan-Martin Wagner
>
> (jmartin at ifto.physik.uni-jena.de)

I use a csh script, 'l', that automatically detects undefined
references and calls bibtex as needed.  When set up with atchange (an
automation tool) one simply inserts the citation and everything is
taken care of automatically.  See:

ftp://ftp.ncifcrf.gov/pub/delila/l
http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/atchange.html

Tom

  Dr. Thomas D. Schneider
  National Cancer Institute
  Laboratory of Experimental and Computational Biology
  Frederick, Maryland  21702-1201
  toms at ncifcrf.gov
  permanent email: toms at alum.mit.edu (use only if first address fails)
  http://www.lecb.ncifcrf.gov/~toms/