[texhax] More investigation on accents...

Jeroen Wijnhout Jeroen.Wijnhout at kdemail.net
Tue Jul 1 17:43:28 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 01 July 2003 15:47, Philip G. Ratcliffe wrote:
> > So... in what format have I saved my files into? :-[ is it
> > UTF-8?  How can I "convert" them back into ASCII?
>
> I opened them in WinEdt and EditPad (yes, I'm still running
> Windogs ;-( and while TEST.txt was ok, TONY.tex displayed:
>
> Ora vado, è è è che veramente non se ne può più.''
>
> In EditPad I ran |Convert|Unicode|UTF-8 -> ANSI| and out came:
>
> Ora vado, è è è che veramente non se ne può più.''
>
> So, you're right!  As I haven't got a Linux box at the moment,
> I don't know what to suggest for conversion (tappa il naso e
> accendi Windogs per due minuti).
>
> Ciao,  Phil
>
> P.S. EditPad Lite lives at http://www.editpadlite.com/

I would suggest Kile for editing LaTeX documents with Linux. Kile is a bit
like WinEdt (but Kile is free!) and it can handle the conversion from latin1
to utf8 or whatever you want.

If you have KDE3.1 installed you can download a Kile package (or compile it
from source) from:
http://www.science.uva.nl/~wijnhout/Kile
In case you run into trouble, feel free to ask!

best,
Jeroen

--
Kile - a LaTeX editor for KDE