[texhax] More investigation on accents...

Tony Mobily mobily at mobily.com
Tue Jul 1 13:01:09 CEST 2003

Hello,

I wrote a short program to analyse the content of TONY.tex.

It looks like TEST.txt is a *proper* ascii file, whereas TONY.tex isn't.
Have a look:

TONY.tex:
115     s
101     e
32
110     n
101     e
32
112     p
117     u
195     ?        <- This is where the accented "o" was
178     ?
32
112     p
105     i
195     ?        <- This is where the accented "u" was
185     ?
46      .
39      '
39      '

It's as if the code 195 acted as "escape", and the following character
is then the symbok (178 and 185 respectively).

The file "TEST.txt" looks normal:

84      T
111     o
110     n
121     y
32
77      M
111     o
98      b
105     i
108     l
121     y
32
232     ?   <- This is the accented "e" not displayed by my terminal
32
110     n
97      a

So... in what format have I saved my files into? :-[ is it UTF-8? How
can I "convert" them back into ASCII?

I hadn't realised all this had happened as every single text editing
program was "hiding" it all from me...

Thanks a lot,

Merc.