\cite in footnote

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 9 11:45:54 CET 2003

> I have a question regarding \cite and \bibliographystyle. Dutch legal
> articles have to cite like this:
>
> This is a citation.\footnote{Author year, p. 34.}
>
> \cite, however, places the citation in the body of the text. Of course I can
> always use \footnote to put the cite in a footnote, but I thought it would
> be cleaner to let \cite do the work.

what's wrong with

  \newcommand{\fcite}[1]{\footnote{\cite{#1}}}

(or something slightly more complicated if you need the optional
argument to \cite)

> However, all customized bibliographystyles I know (and can be made by
> makebst) cite in the body.

the way \cite (and friends) appears is nothing to do with the
bibliography style -- that merely provides the text that the citation
is made up from.

the jurabib bundle is designed to support german lawyers' citation
style; it may be worth investigating whether it does what you need.

robin