[texhax] chktex: false positives

Calum Mackay calum.mackay at cdmnet.org
Wed Dec 24 13:39:32 CET 2003

Hi all,

I had a couple of questions re some of the warnings from chktex, and
would appreciate any comments...

o Italic correction

chktex reports on the following LaTeX 2e italic correction issue:

Warning 6 in interrupted.tex line 486: No italic correction (`\/') found.
(\textit{sic}), but currently nothing in the core OS does this.}
             ^

I believe that \textit automatically does italic correction, unlike
\itshape, so I think this warning is incorrect?

o Punctuation in front of quotes

chktex reports:

Warning 38 in interrupted.tex line 572: You should not use punctuation
in front of quotes.
system will panic ``too many softcalls.''
                                       ^

I thought this was normal practice; the punctuation looks better inside
the quotes; this is how it often is seen in a published book, for example.

thoughts?

cheers,
Calum.