[texhax] continuous figure and table numbering

Manoj Kummini kummini at math.ukans.edu
Fri Dec 12 16:02:51 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 13:55:32hrs +0100, Martin Wegmann wrote:

> all my figures and tables are named/numbered after my chapter (1.2,
> 1.3, ....2.1, 2.2....), but I would like to have a continuous numbering like
> fig. 1 for the first figure in my document, fig. 2 for the second
> (unimportant in which chapter they appear).

Please mention the document class that you are using, preferably with the
entire preamble (the commands between \documentclass and \begin{document}.
I assume that you are using the report class.

This trick should work: add the following lines in your preamble

\usepackage{remreset}
\makeatletter
\@removefromreset{figure}{chapter}
\def\thefigure{\@arabic\c at figure}
\makeatother

Manoj.

--
Manoj Kummini
Graduate Student, Dept. of Mathematics, The Univ. of Kansas,