[texhax] Subscript bold font

Philip G. Ratcliffe philipratcliffe at tiscali.it
Thu Aug 28 16:18:44 CEST 2003

> > at some points, I would like to emphasize subscripted characters like in
> >
> > [$_\textbf{IP}$ S
> >
> > Unfortunately, the characters appear subscripted, but much bigger than
the usual
> > subscript size. I suspect that the subscript command does not reach the
> > characters embedded as the \textbf argument. How can I force TeX to
shrink the
> > characters, while choosing cmr bold at the same time (without adding
\small or
> > something to the characters).
>
> You should use \mathbf{} instead of \textbf{}:
>
>   A_\mathbf{foo}\times B_\mathbf{bar} = AB_\mathbf{foobar}

While this is true (i.e., it is recommended), using the amsmath package
(availabe on CTAN or through the MiKTeX package manager) allows the use of
\textbf inside math with the desired output.

As a side remark, I would recommend amsmath to anyone using math mode
extensively ... but, please, read the manual!

Cheers,  Phil