[texhax] crop.sty errors with set@page@color

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 7 00:30:10 CEST 2003

> I am trying to use the crop package (by Melchior Franz) with teTex.  The
> documentation states it has dependencies on the graphics and color
> packages, but I am getting errors in the crop package when I try to load
> the style (see below).  The crop package seems to be the one causing the
> error.  Why would it be failing on the \renewcommand? It's definitely
> available in color.sty, and the crop.sty would give an error message if
> color.sty wasn't available (it's pulled in via a \RequirePackage command).
>
> --- output ---
>
> This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)
> [...] (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/color.sty
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/config/color.cfg)
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/pdftex.def))
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/crop/crop.sty
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/graphics.sty
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/graphics/trig.sty)
> (/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/tex/latex/config/graphics.cfg))
>
> ! LaTeX Error: \set at page@color undefined.
>
> See the LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion for explanation.
> Type  H <return>  for immediate help.
>
> l.520     \renewcommand*\set at page@color
>                                         {%

crop should either check for such an ancient version of pdftex, or
should refuse to work in that context.

given that this is unlikely to happen (and in the latter alternative
wouldn't help you), i would recommend updating both pdftex and
pdftex.def (to cope with the new facilities of current pdftex).

all the relevant bits and pieces are available from ctan, for what
it's worth.