[texdoc] Some small bugs and more

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Wed Nov 15 08:55:51 CET 2017

Hi Patrick, Karl, all,

> 2. As others have written, and as I wrote in my earlier reply,
>   http://tug.org/pipermail/texdoc/2017q4/000412.html
> I don't think texdoc is the place to do it. texdoc is about finding

I somehow disagree. texdoc is *now* a tool for searching packages, but
that doesn't mean we cannot extend it.

I agree that implementing a general search engine for macros/concepts
etc is not realistic, but my ideas are:
* provide some way to have plugins written in lua
* if the initial (and fuzzy) search fails, texdoc calls the plugins for
  searches
* one plugin could be "latex2e" which reads the keyword/concept index
  from the .info (or other way) and searches there.

There could be general plugins
* info_plugin that reads the indices from an .info/.texi document
* pdf_plugin that tries to extract info from pdfs
etc.

Then there could be a texdoc configuration
plugins =
  info_plugin("latex2e.info")
  info_plugin("tds.info")
  pdf_plugin("graphics.pdf")

I don't think it is necessarily a good idea to try to parse each and
every pdf we ship in texlive, but trying to get *some* documents
accessible would not be a bad move.

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer