[texdoc] Weird behavior of `texdoc'

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Tue Feb 14 21:51:29 CET 2017

Hi Yudai,

On 14/02/2017 09:33, Yudai NAKATA wrote:
>> Can you try 'texdoc -v
>> bxjalipsum' and paste here the line that starts with "texdoc info: View
>> comand:" in the output? What happens if you run this command manually
>> from your terminal?
>
> It returns “texdoc info: View comand: less
> "/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-dist/doc/latex/bxjalipsum/README.md””.
> Strangely, manually running `less "/usr/local/…` displays the
> characters correctly.

Okay, so maybe texdoc is messing with your locale or other parts of your
environment before it calls the pager? (Though I don't remember doing
that on purpose.) Can you try creating an executable file with the
following content

---%<---
#!/bin/sh

locale
env
---%<---

and then running "PAGER=/path/to/that_file texdoc bxjalipsum", and see
if you see anything weird in the output? Maybe do a diff between the
output from texdoc and the normal output of the script?

> P.S. comand should be command, I guess ;-)

Good, catch, thanks, never noticed :)

Best regards,
Manuel.