[texdoc] Weird behavior of `texdoc'

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Feb 13 23:30:59 CET 2017

Dear Yudai,
on my Linux box everything is displayed as expected.  I can't imagine
that your problem is caused by texdoc.  It's more likely that in both
cases different fonts are used, one which contains \rightarrow and one
which doesn't.

Can anybody else reproduce the problem reported below?

Regards,
  Reinhard

On 2017-02-13 at 06:32:32 -0500, Yudai NAKATA wrote:

 > Dear Dr. Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard,
 >
 > This is Yudai Nakata, a TeX Live user from Japan.
 >
 > I am emailing you as I’ve found that texdoc seems to fail treating
 > character encoding properly
 > and hence some READMEs get corrupted on the terminal.
 >
 > I take bxjalipsum package (https://www.ctan.org/pkg/bxjalipsum) as an
 > example here.
 > In README.md, you will find a line saying
 >
 > > - `*.sty` → $TEXMF/tex/latex/BXjalipsum
 >
 > This line contains non-ASCII characters (→: U+2192 RIGHTWARDS ARROW), and
 > `texdoc bxjalipsum` renders this line as follows.
 >
 > > - `*.sty` <E2><86><92> $TEXMF/tex/latex/BXjalipsum
 >
 > However, this should not happen because I set the LANG environment
 > variable as ja_JP.UTF-8
 > and all UTF-8-encoded files should be displayed as intended. In fact,
 > bxjalipsum’s README.md
 > doesn’t get corrupted if I explicitly pipe the stdout of `texdoc
 > bxjalipsum` to a pager, i.e., the command
 > `texdoc bxjalipsum | $PAGER` will work.
 >
 > Is this a normal behavior? It seems like a bug IMHO, but I apologize
 > if this behavior is just as you expected.
 >
 > Finally, I’ll note my environment:
 > - OS: OS X El Capitan
 > - TeX distribution: TeX Live 2016
 > - terminal emulator: iTerm and the built-in Terminal.app
 > - pager: less and more
 >
 > Best regards,
 > Yudai Nakata

Marschnerstr. 25