[texdoc] problem with texdoc and finding manuals on Debian

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Aug 6 09:55:50 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 06/08/2012 09:41, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Unfortunately, then we fall into the pain of the disappearing
> file, (tmp file disappears). I have set the viewer to
> 	(xdg-open %s) &
> But this is what is recommended in the documentation.
>
> Do you have an idea about that, too?

Which actual viewer is selected by xdg-open on your system? Is it blocking? From
the comments in texdoc.cnf:

# WARNING: for zip support your viewer needs to be blocking, i.e. it must not
# return immediately: otherwise the temporary file will be deleted too early

The actual command used (showed using the -v switch) is:

(xdg-open "/tmp/texdoc.xc1YEN/pgfmanual.pdf"; rm -f
"/tmp/texdoc.xc1YEN/pgfmanual.pdf"; rmdir /tmp/texdoc.xc1YEN) &

If you have a better idea, suggestions are most welcome. Otherwise, the only way
is to make sure you use a blocking viewer (I usually use xpdf, evince seem to be
fine too).

Manuel.