[texdoc] fixme

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Oct 12 10:13:32 CEST 2011

Hi Dan,

Le 08/10/2011 00:55, Dan T. Abell a écrit :
> texdoc fixme does not pull up the package documentation
>
> ~> texdoc -l fixme
>  1 /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/context/third/fixme/fixme.pdf
>    = Examples of use
>  2 /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/latex/fixme/fixme.pdf
>    = Package documentation
>  3 /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/latex/fixme/README
>    = Package Readme
>  4 /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/latex/fixme/NEWS
>  5 /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/latex/fixme/THANKS
>
> Item 2, of course is what I want.

Ok.

> But since I usually
> access texdoc via the "Show help for package ..." menu
> item in TeXShop, I would really like to have texdoc find
> the correct package documentation.

This sure is a reasonnable wish.

> I tried adding a local configuration information in
>   ~/Library/texmf/texdoc/texdoc.cnf
>
> I tried many different formulations, but you know (since
> I'm writing to this list) none worked. What really ought
> to work is a configuration file containing the single
> line
>
> alias fixme = latex/fixme/fixme
>
> but that did not work for me.

I first thought it ought to work too, but I confirm it doesn't. The point is,
texdoc is not considering the full path to the file while doing the scoring: the
first component (here, /latex/) is removed cause it is often irrelevant (this
avoids "texdoc latex" returning hundreds of documents, eg). Obviously this is a
problem here.

> adjscore(fixme) /context/ = -1000
> alias(200) fixme = /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/doc/latex/fixme/fixme.pdf

Same problem here.

As a temporary workaround, I suggest

adjscore(fixme) /third/ = -10

which I tested and works for me.

> You can see I'm getting frustrated. What am I doing wrong?
> Or is this a bug?

This is arguably a bug. Or at least it ought to be properly documented. I added
it to my list, I'll think about it.

Thanks for your report,
Manuel.