[texdoc] changes in aliasing and scoring

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Nov 21 18:31:26 CET 2009

Karl Berry a écrit :
>     intend to drop regex mode sooner or later since it makes too many
>
> Regex mode still seems useful to me when someone is unsure of the
> package name -- but a "substring" mode would probably be just as good as
> full regexes.  E.g., I know there's some package about algorithms but I
> can't remember the name, so I could run texdoc --mode=substr algo or
> some such.

It just so happens that substring is the default search mode :-)
Usually, results are filtered to show only "better-than-substring"
matches, but if not such results are found, all results are displayed
(and you can force that with --search (or its new name --showall)).

With upcoming texdoc:

mpg at roth:~% texdoc algo
 1 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithm2e/algorithm2e.pdf
 2
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithmicx/algorithmicx.pdf
 3 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithms/algorithms.pdf
 4
/usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/generic/FAQ-en/html/FAQ-algorithms.html
 5 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithm2e/README
 6 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithmicx/README
 7 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithms/COPYING
 8 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithms/README
 9 /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/algorithms/THANKS
mpg at roth:~%

Anyway, I made regex mode issue the following warning:

> Regex mode is deprecated and will likely be removed soon.
> Please protest on the texdoc mailing list if you need this.

If nobody protests for, say 1 month, I'll probably drop it.

Manuel.