[texdoc] [tex-live] TeXdoc

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Mar 9 02:31:24 CET 2009

On 8 March 2009 Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) wrote:

 > Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

 >> By the way, texdoc doesn't currently has language-specific
 >> preferences, so the policy is to always prefer english language
 >> documentation when available.
 >
 > I'm amazed : has no-one (yet) complained ?!

It's actually not a texdoc issue.  The information about languages
should be in the catalogue.  Then other programs can benefit from the
information too.

Many files in the catalogue are lacking such a language tag.  I don't
expect any considerable improvement unless someone is willing to
volunteer.  It's a lot of work, but not everything has do be done at
once.

On the other hand, in most cases your locale setting affects only
documents like l2short or the TeX Live manual.  In VnTeX we have some
documents written in English and some written in Vietnamese.  None of
them exists in both languages.  Thus, your locale settings are
irrelevant.  And don't expect that you get the documentation of
german.sty in English, it exists in German only.

Nevertheless, there might be some packages with documentation written
in English/French or in English/Polish and proper language tags make a
lot of sense.  It would be nice if someone is willing to volunteer.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25