[tex-live] behaviour of kpsewhich on case-insensitive mac system

Justin C. Walker justin at me.com
Tue Sep 19 00:59:45 CEST 2017

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 11:39 , jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> wrote:

[snip]

> ah... I see, and I understand Enrico's comment
>
>> It often happens that people
>> on Windows use wrong casing and are puzzled because
>> the same document doesn’t compile on another (non Windows)
>> machine.
>
> but I conclude that kpsewhich on Windows has different
> policy than on Mac.
>
> Shouldn't the kpsewhich on Windows act like on Mac
> and then only kpsewhich plain.tex would return a find?

I’m not sure that this makes sense: AIUI, ‘kpsewhich’ just hands a file name to the OS.  The OS provides the answer, which is relayed to the user.  I don’t think the TeX infrastructure (or the kpse infrastructure) puts any effort into dealing with case issues.

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large