[tex-live] display issue with "tlmgr help" ??

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sun Sep 10 11:36:32 CEST 2017

Le 10 sept. 2017 à 09:58, jfbu <jfbu at free.fr> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> when I do tlmgr help, I observe this:
>
> 1NAME1
>    tlmgr - the native TeX Live Manager
>
> 1SYNOPSIS1
>    tlmgr [1option1]... 1action1 [1option1]... [1operand1]...
>
> 1DESCRIPTION1
>    1tlmgr1 manages an existing TeX Live installation, both packages and

> in my Terminal window.
>
> rather than boldened NAME e.g.
>
> I first observed it around September 1st, but today I confirm it on
> a pure TeXLive 2017 on another Mac OS (fully updated today).
>
> doing "man tlmgr" produces the expected highlighted output
> ending in
>
>       $Id: tlmgr.pl 45190 2017-09-01 08:01:01Z preining $
>
> perl v5.24.1                      2017-09-01                          TLMGR(1)
>

> doing "tlmgr help" produces the output non-highlighted
> (but apparently with highlight markers) and ending also with
>
>    $Id: tlmgr.pl 45190 2017-09-01 08:01:01Z preining $
>
> Any other relevant info I could provide ?

Hmm,

maybe I should also *have read* the actual provided help:

ACTIONS
   help
       Display this help information and exit (same as "--help", and on the
       web at <http://tug.org/texlive/doc/tlmgr.html>).  Sometimes the
       "perldoc" and/or "PAGER" programs on the system have problems,
       resulting in control characters being literally output.  This can't
       always be detected, but you can set the "NOPERLDOC" environment
       variable and "perldoc" will not be used.

which does hint that my reported problem is known.

Although I had not noticed it before I now checked that the same
applies with TL2014 and TL2106, hence it is presumably some other
change in my system(s).

Perhaps it was there forever and I am (again?) making noise
for nothing.

After exporting NOPERLDOC, the "tlmgr help" outputs the help
without the extra mark-up but all in one go.

If there is any experiment I can do to help debugging, I am
quite willing to do so.

Best

Jean-François