[tex-live] Package with C program: how to submit

John Collins jcc8 at psu.edu
Tue May 16 20:57:39 CEST 2017

I am one of the maintainers of a package axodraw2
(http://www.ctan.org/pkg/axodraw2) that is on CTAN and that we'd like to
be included in TeXLive.  It's not in TeXLive at the moment, and as far
as I can see the only reason is that one component of the package is a C
program that needs to be compiled, but the package isn't set up to be
compatible with the TeXLive build method.

Unfortunately, I couldn't work out from the TeXLive information at
https://tug.org/texlive/pkgcontrib.html exactly what I need to put in
the set of files uploaded to CTAN upload to make it suitable for
TeXLive.  I looked at one or two apparently relevant packages (e.g.,
detex) but it wasn't clear to me that those obey the stated TeXLive
requirements.  Could someone point me to a good example for a simple
case?  Is there anything else I need to do to get axodraw2 into TeXLive?

(In the axodraw2 package, there is a single monolithic source file in
very standard C, so absolutely nothing complicated is needed. Of course,
in an ideal world, we would have converted the program to Perl.  But
that's for the future ...)

Thank you,
John Collins