[tex-live] xe(la)ex and font searching delay

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Mar 2 15:20:25 CET 2017

Am Thu, 2 Mar 2017 22:56:54 +0900 schrieb Norbert Preining:

>> But then why does it work with miktex and texlive 2014? There are
>> installed on the same computer and in the same account.

> I guess that is due to the loading of the lmodern fonts, which
> wasn't done before LaTeX 2017/01/01 and the new encoding default.

I don't think so. I had the problem already last year -- only the
location when xelatex stopped was different as the fonts were loaded
later. It simply happens when xelatex has to load the first open
type font (and so has to access the cache).

Something is blocking xelatex to store the cache files. I can see in
fonts/cache of TL16 a lots of "doublettes": a .cache-7  and a
.cache-7.NEW with the same name.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/