[tex-live] reset tlmgr to default net repo via cli

Uwe Siart usenet at siart.de
Thu Mar 2 10:30:35 CET 2017

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:

> On 2017-03-02 at 08:43:08 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>  > > nice
>  >
>  > $ tlmgr option repository ctan tlmgr: setting default package
>  > repository to http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet
>  >
>  > > is that documented?  I obviously never search for 'ctan'
>  >
>  > Probably not ;-)
>
> Is it desirable to use http://mirror.ctan.org at all?  Whenever you
> update your system you are directed to a different mirror and not all
> mirrors are always up-to-date.

Using http://mirror.ctan.org/ looks like a good idea to me, basically.

I think, the only use case that could give some trouble, happens when
users call "tlmgr update" in quick succession. Then it might happen that
(due to random choice of the mirror) packages get alternately installed
and removed.

What about pointing to that problem in the documentation? Perhaps it
would be enough to distract users from doing updates in intervals
shorter than one day.

--
Uwe