[tex-live] TL17 fails to compile a document when including a graphic whose file name contains multiple dots

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Jun 30 10:03:58 CEST 2017

On 30/06/2017 08:52, Leo Liu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There is a regression after upgrading to TeX Live 2017, that
> (pdf/xe/lua)latex cannot compile the following minimal document:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \begin{document}
> \includegraphics{example.image.png}
> \end{document}
>
> where example.image.png is a PNG image file whose name contains two
> dots. And here is the error message:
>
> ! LaTeX Error: Unknown graphics extension: .image.png.
>
> However, the same example can be compiled in TL16 smoothly.
>
> What's more, when the image file contains some invalid UTF-8 sequence,
> XeLaTeX will produce a segment fault.
>
> I guess it is an issue about graphics-def. And I hope the problem can
> be fixed properly.
>
> Best,
> Leo Liu

Hi Leo,

The graphics package has always treated the first "." as delimiting the
extension: for me your example fails in TL'16 and TL'17. Moreover, we've
not changed the filename parsing at all. Can you give \listfiles details
for your two runs?

On the second point, I guess this is an engine issue though if the file
has invalid data in it then all bets are off anyway.

Joseph