[tex-live] texlive 2017 seems to be installing in /usr/local/texlive/2016??

Bob bobabc at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 4 16:34:05 CEST 2017

Is texlive 2017 using 2016 in multiple places?  Directories?
Documentation? Installer?

=======================

I was starting to install texlive 2017 on a linux box.  I followed the
link at:

https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html

and I downloaded the installer.  I'm using the installer
install-tl-20170413, which came from the mirror:

http://ftp.math.purdue.edu/mirrors/ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/

The file was last modified on 12-Apr-2017.

When I run the installer using

install-tl -gui

the gui is not the same as Figure 3 in:

https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#installation

Instead there is 2016 wherever there was a 2017 in the Figure. In
particular, the title is TeX Live 2016 Installation.  Also, TEXDIR is
/usr/local/texlive/2016, and so on.

Is this the 2016 installer or the 2017 installer?

I tried downloading it again to see if a different mirror might have a
different version, but it was the same.

Is this the correct installer for texlive 2017?  If not, am I looking in
the wrong place for the 2017 installer?

The quick install documentation suggests a pre-install cleanup:

rm -rf /usr/local/texlive/2016
rm -rf ~/.texlive2017

Should the first be 2016 or is texlive 2017 being installed in that
directory?

BTW, the full installation documentation does not mention this cleanup.

Thanks,

--Bob