[tex-live] texlive setup problems

Charles E Campbell astronaut at verizon.net
Thu Jan 26 05:54:43 CET 2017

Hello:

I originally tried using the texlive that came with Scientific Linux 7.2
and ran into problems.  So I've now used the texlive installation
directions with the default directory targets.  When trying to latex a
small LaTeX file (which works on another Scientific Linux box), I get
570 lines of kpathsea stuff and then:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.1415926-2.5-1.40.14 (TeX Live 2013)
---! /home/cec/.texlive2016/texmf-var/web2c/pdftex/latex.fmt doesn't
match pdftex.pool
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)

Again, this is a fresh install.  I've unset my old TEXINPUTS and TEXMF
environment variables, but that didn't improve things any. So, I'm
stymied too!
What may be hints:

1) I can't seem to find pdftex.pool; its not anywhere under .texlive2016
or /usr/local/texlive.

2) When I tried to run texhash,
warning: kpathsea: configuration file texmf.cnf not found in these
directories: ...

Please help, and thank you,
Chip Campbell