[tex-live] tu-clash

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 28 01:01:50 CET 2017

    It's a pity that nobody suggested such a
    change during the teTeX-2.0 beta tests.

Thomas E. and I did discuss it. At that time, the infrastructure (of
making formats, automatic updates) was far less developed, not to say
nonexistent, and the choice was not clear. Ultimately we decided that it
would be better for users if "fmtutil" continued to be for user areas,
and the new program, fmtutil-sys, would be for system areas, thus (we
thought) putting the burden on people more able to handle it.

As things have developed, that was the wrong decision, but it was an
actual decision with some rationale, not just a random choice.

I'm not sure if we can ameliorate the situation now. -k