[tex-live] possible bug or mistake ...

Paulo Ney de Souza pauloney at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 21:04:12 CEST 2017

I have finally nailed a bug that I have been chasing for a while now ... in
which some simple numbers on a PDF file disappears under Evince display on
Linux after some routine TeXLive maintenance operations.

We have seen it for a few years now, after long sequences of operations of
instal/update/etc ... the Evince display would become messed up, and
yesterday I was able to nail it to the commands to make TeX fonts available
system-wide, recommended by Karl in Section 3.4.4 of the TL Reference
Manual:

cp $(kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFSYSVAR)/fonts/conf/texlive-fontconfig.conf
/etc/fonts/conf.d/09-texlive.conf
fc-cache -fsv

Here are the displays of Evince and Xpdf, before and after the command is
ran.

Before:

[image: Inline image 1]
After:

[image: Inline image 3]
We use xelatex on the file below to generate the short PDF file:

\documentclass{minimal}
\RequirePackage{pst-barcode}

\begin{document}
    \psbarcode{978-85-8337-082-6}{includetext}{isbn}
\end{document}

This is On TL-2017 on Ubuntu 17.04.

Paulo Ney de Souza