[tex-live] Stripping LuaTeX with "strip -u -r" to allow loading modules

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sat Apr 22 19:53:22 CEST 2017

> If you take a look at LuaTeX's build.sh, you'll notice the following lines:
>
>    STRIP=strip
>    case `uname` in
>      Darwin     ) STRIP="strip -u -r" ;;
>    esac

which is now the default, a simple 'strip' should suffice to make everything work on macOS.

> but it would be even better if the default strip command could be
> replaced when compiling on Mac (and for Mac rather than with some
> cross-compiler).

on which platform are the macOS binaries built? With which strip command?

It seems to be that we are close to a proper solution. No objection has been raised to my statement that 1MB increase in size would fix the bug of the broken macOS distribution of LuaTeX. Now it looks as if it is just a matter of placing the correct strip command in the right place. Can anybody help here?

Thanks
  Patrick