[tex-live] Stripping LuaTeX with "strip -u -r" to allow loading modules

Patrick Gundlach patrick at gundla.ch
Sat Apr 22 10:11:32 CEST 2017

To George N. White III (I am not on this list, found it in the archive)

> On MacOS El Capitan, man strip says:
>
>               "When  strip  is  used  with no options on an executable
> file, it checks
>
>        that file to see if it uses the dynamic link editor.  If it  does,
> the
>        effect of the strip command is the same as using the -u and -r
> options."

you are right. Using the default ./build.sh script seems to be fine (for linking libraries). My observation is, that there must be something different done to the binary in the texlive distribution.

Who packs the OS X binaries into texlive? Is there any preprocessing step done after running ./build.sh in the LuaTeX directory? Or is the build script different from the original LuaTeX one?

Patrick